Most Balinese are Hindu, thus do not get alarmed with the number of temples they have there. Among the temples, there are six holiest temples around the island, and the Lempuyang Temple is one of them.
Pura Luhur Lempuyang or Pura Penataran Agung Lempuyang, as how Balinese called this temple in Mount Lempuyangan. The temple has a picturesque appearance, as the white temple is in the middle of the woods on top of a hill.
How to Get There and the Entrance Fee
To get to the Lempuyang Temple, you can come from any direction. Located on the east side of Bali, specifically in Banjar Purwa Ayu, Tribuana Village, Abang, Karangasem, this temple is practically accessible.
But since it is located in a relatedly remote area, you could not come by public transportation to get to the location. Instead, you have to rent a bike, car, or any other transportation method. Here are the route options from any side of the island:
- From Ngurah Rai International Airport or somewhere in Denpasar, head to Jl. Prof. Ida Bagus Mantra. You need to drive for 2 hours 45 minutes and cross 89 km distance.
- Meanwhile, if you come from Nusa Dua, Kuta, Jimbaran, Seminyak, or any area near there, the travel time will be around 2 to 3 hours. This estimation time will purely depend on the traffic condition at the moment.
- Then, if you are from Ubud, then you can also head through Jl. Prof. Dr. Ida Bagus Mantra. The travel time will be around 2 hours 30 minutes.
To enter the area, there is no official entrance fee that you have to pay. However, you can give some donations to the locals that keep maintaining the area. Although the entrance fee is free, you still have to pay for parking your vehicle, which is within 5 to 10 thousand rupiahs. Further, if you come with shorts, you have to pay 10 thousand rupiahs to rent a sarong.
What to Expect
As you know, Bali is never disappointing for its beautiful landscape, both natural and manmade. Thus, the combination of both is mesmerizing just like what you will get in this place. Here are what wait you in Pura Luhur Lempuyang:
- Fantastic view of Mount Agung, the sacred mountain for Balinese.
- The famous Gateway to Heaven will be the perfect place to show off your time in Bali. We suggest visiting at dusk, due to the gorgeous scenery at sunset.
- Since you will be in a high elevated place, get ready to find your clothes wet. Because you will walk through clouds, even if you do not notice that.
Things to Know When Visiting
After knowing what awaits you at the Pura Luhur Lempuyang, you also have to understand the dos and don’ts of the place. Firstly, since it is a sacred place, you should dress appropriately. If you do so, then you have to cover your body by using a sarong.
Then, you also have to make sure to wear comfortable footwear. Because you have to climb more than 1700 steps until you reach the Gateway to Heaven. Therefore, if you do not think your body is capable enough to accept the challenge, do not force yourself.
The Lempuyang Temple is open 24/7 and will welcome you at any time. As we mentioned above, the best time to come will be at dusk. This is due to the panorama from the highland being mesmerizing and hard to get at any other place.